Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Making Your Own Pumpkin - Overachiever's Pumpkin Pie


Or "How to Risk Stabbing Yourself".

WOW, cutting pie pumpkins is way harder than I thought. Seriously. The whole time I was envisioning how it would feel to stab myself with the big ass knife I was using.

Anyway! Pumpkins are cut up, scooped out and in the oven.

Recipe for making your own pumpkin:
  1. Cut up the top off the pumpkins, halve them.
  2. Do not stab yourself. This is harder than you think.
  3. Scoop out the guts and seeds.
  4. Keep the seeds for further roasting.
  5. Cut the pumpkins into fourths or eighths.
  6. Do not stab yourself.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
  8. Cool.
  9. Scoop out the pumpkin. Throw away the skin.
  10. Blend, food process, mash.. whatever works best for you.
  11. If it's too watery, strain it.
  12. If it's too dry, put water in it.
  13. Tada!
Well, since I do not currently own a fancy Cuisinart, I used the blender. It did need some water, but it did not come out overly watery. It was in fact, perfect. I loved the richer flavor of the pumpkin. Would totally do it again.

Note to self: Get a bigger, safer knife. Possibly some body armor.

No comments: